Friday, February 12, 2010

Younger is a State of Mind

Just when I thought I was feeling crappy about being 40. I realized how lucky I am. Go to an assisted care living facility and you immediately get a wonderful feeling inside.

Yesterday, I went to visit one of my customers who has recently moved to one of these facilities. She's a wonderful woman and lost her husband about a year ago. She uses a walker to get around, but you'd never know that she's fought battles against breast cancer and colon cancer. She is one of the women I admire and reminds me that all things are relative.

Irma and her friends were delighted to see me. I was rushing to see another customer to make my delivery before getting to the dentist. As I walked in and said hello, Irma's face lit up that I'd come to see her. We held hands as we talked and I know she's my customer, but really she's my friend. She's a sweet woman who has shared so much of her life with me over the years that I felt like I was not doing enough when I had to rush out.

However, the activities director stopped me on the way out to ask me a favor. Since I don't know where everyone sits for lunch she needed me to hide valentine's under the residents chairs in the dining room. So, there I was with tape and big 8 inch red construction paper hearts crawling on my hands and knees taping under the chairs. That made me feel better. For the residents, this little valentine's suprise would make their day and the size of those big hearts matched mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment