Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Change is Everywhere

I'm a big fan of food. Yes, even weird stuff. Calimari, escargot, and chicken livers are among some of my favorites. But being a fan of food comes with a price. My weight has been an issue for as long as I can remember. Although I've been much much heavier, I've rarely been at a size that I truly wanted to be. Size 18/20 will be the smallest I ever get unless I take drastic measures.

I've seen people do great with gastric bypass surgery and I've done great on Weight Watchers. I exercise regularly...in fact, I'm about to leave for a Zumba class. But, I'm never going to be a size 6 like some of my good friends.

I had been at a pretty steady weight for over 18 months when WHAM!!! 40 hit. Apparently, much to my dismay it brought about 8 pounds with it that I can't get rid of. I'm trying, but it's taking a lot out of me. I'm not to the point of buying bigger clothes. Heck, I'm still rooting through and getting rid of things that are two and three sizes too big. But, 40 isn't just a number it apparently is a metabollic thing that changed my happy scale to a place of dread.

I get on regularly to remind myself that there is no going back to my old way of life. Where two whole boxed Entemann's danishes was just a snack. I like water now. Back in the day, a 12 pack of diet soda a day was a way of life. No wonder I was maniacal nightmare. Eek!

Luckily, I've got great friends. Most of whom are supportive. Some of them are in the same boat with me. But it's hard for me to deal with all the choices out there. Passing a Taco Bell, McDonalds, Hardees, and Steak n Shake on your way to the gym and back are pretty big pitfalls to overcome. Today I'm ready Chinese. I'm going to either have rice and veggies or get away from it completely. Not going back to sucking down soy sauce either.

One of these days I'm going to find the right trick to get my food obsession under control, but until then....I'm going to keep dancing and making a fool out of myself. Any takers to come watch?

No comments:

Post a Comment