Sunday, February 7, 2010

Superbowl Sunday Celebration?

I love football. I really love the Superbowl...the game, the commercial, and usually the halftime entertainment. I'm not thrilled with the entertainment this year. I'm not a fan of The Who. But most of all, I love the food debauchery that goes on.

This morning, my stomach is already turning. Another thing that has happened to me at 40. I can't handle large amounts of greasy food, decadent food, spicy food, or large amounts of food. Once upon I could and yes, for over 10 years I was way over 300 pounds. With the help of Weight Watchers, not putting food in my mouth, and finding a way to enjoy exercise, I got to under 250 lbs. I refuse to go back to the old way. It takes a lot of water, a lot of movement, and a lot of discipline to make sure I don't go back to my old ways....because frankly, I love food.

Now, turning 40 has brought some changes with what I eat. I now like tomatoes. I really like bacon and it should be a separate food group. But lately, I've been having a love affair with chili that's bordering on obsessive and dealing with the after effects is a risk I'm willing to take. I like them all...white, turkey, meat, bean, no bean, vegetarian...you name it...I love it. My husband is beginning to wonder if I'm making chili because it's easy (c'mon, 1 pot and dump in a bunch of stuff and you're done) or if I really like it. I really do like chili; however, it's after effect on my system after turning 40 are not what I'd call pleasing or glorious. In fact, the chili brings about a whole new realm of things that I didn't know my body could do.

Superbowl is the banner day for Chiliheads everywhere. You make a pot of the stuff and you can feed 40 people easy. Get yourself some shredded cheese, onions, sour cream, and absolutely...Fritos! Of course, you might have to open your windows during the 3rd Quarter depending on how much everyone eats and how they react to it. My grandpa used to make the comment that he was "tuning up the orchestra" and I'd shake my head and run out of the room and name what note he just hit with his instrument. Thanks Grandpa!

I didn't know when turning 40 I'd have to bring a medicine cabinet with me when I eat chili. Pepcid for the acid, Beano for the gas, Fiber Choice to help move things along, and Tums if the Pepcid has been overcome by the attack of the chili in my stomach.

So...sit down and enjoy the game. I'm rooting for the Saints since I'm in the running to win a prize at our local recreation center and I'm rooting for the Colts because I like Peyton Manning. Actually, I'll be celebrating if it's a really close game and I don't get sick or have acid reflux overnight. That is really my own little victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment