Sunday, February 20, 2011

Scooter 1 and Me 0

You know when the weather gets warm you want to be outside. You want to feel the wind in your hair, speed through the warm breeze, and try new things. This afternoon I tried to be a good mom. With one child out of town on a hiking trip, I took the other one swimming in the morning. We had a blast at the Renaud Center. We came home and the weather was beautiful.

As the afternoon progressed, I was asked by Graham if he could go outside to scooter. Of course! I told him I'd be out soon to watch. Well, it didn't take much of the warm air and the breeze to inspire me. I could scooter too! Can't be that hard, right?

I grabbed Adam's four-wheeled scooter since he was out of town. The scooter has 4 wheels and should be great for balancing. It even has a brake in the back and I've pushed on it a time or two in the basement. So when I grabbed the scooter to give it a whirl, I had all the confidence in the world.

Graham and I headed across the street to the sidewalk and started on our journey. I took off and I was flying. What fun! What a breeze! It was great! Graham asked how far we were going and I said not far as I turned around. What happened next should have been captured on video tape.

As I turned back around from looking at Graham, I made a sharp left turn. Next thing I knew I was trying to catch myself. I tried to catch myself on my hands and knees but it was too late. My right cheek headed for our neighbor's driveway and it hit. I got myself up onto my rump and then came the fun part...the check.

Everything was still moving. Nothing was broken. I looked up at Graham and he was about to cry. All I thought to do was laugh. I asked Graham to help me and he just stared. I told him I was okay and nothing was broken. I looked at my knees. They were just scraped and a little bloody. My right cheek was scratched and my right pinky finger had been hyperextended.

I sat on this driveway for several minutes trying to figure out how I was going to get myself the 30+ yards home before the pain got worse. Luckily there were no neighbors visible. If people did see my stumble, fumble, and tumble of grace and agility they did not run out of their doors to help. Thank God.

So now I have myself cleaned, iced, and bandaged up. I have told my relatives about my latest adventure on four wheels. Now I know to ignore my Spring Fever until I master the art of scootering properly. Next time, the scooter might not be so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment